Friday, July 3, 2015

Charger Installed (minor fireworks)

Today was the day to determine whether I could save several hundred bucks, and it turned out that I could.

Self-installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet today in the garage. Luckily, the panel is literally right next to where I'd be charging the car, so it was very easy ~ well, sort of.




Really the hardest part was trying to cram all that thick-gauge wire into the electric box. Three conductors of 6-gauge wire is not the easiest to deal with.


It was so hard, that apparently some insulation had been thinned or gashed. That's something I found out when I finally flipped the breaker on... and immediately discovered that the breaker, in fact, did actually work (accompanied by a loud pop and a neat little light show in the metal box). But, in the end, it worked well. I'll actually get to test it when the car comes.



No comments:

Post a Comment